Saturday, August 1, 2015

how i style: scrunchies

if you're #longhairdontcare like me, you probably put your hair up into a ponytail or bun a lot. because let's be honest, although it's fun to have long, luscious hair, it's also very impractical at times such as when you're wearing a backpack, when your hair gets stuck in your shirt, or when it's extremely hot outside.. my favorite way to reinvent the typical ponytail is to put your hair up with a scrunchie! i know a lot of people are so anti scrunchie, and are probably saying "the 80's called..... they want their scrunchie back". well, i love my scrunchies and they are a great way to transform any outfit from plain and basic to quirky and cute. both of my scrunchies are from american apparel. i would totally recommend checking out their site if you're in the market for some unique scrunchies. they have pretty much any color or print you could dream of. in this post, i give you four different outfits that i like to pair with my scrunchies, and how i style my hair with scrunchies. if you're interested and want to learn how to rock this trend.. keep reading :)

ps: if you follow me on social media, you'll know that i had some technical difficulties regarding my camera, basically the world was working against me!! that's why these pictures were taken in my cluttered room, i hope it isn't too distracting for you & you still enjoy the post! <3

twitter  - instagram - pinterest -








in this look, i did a ponytail with my light denim colored scrunchie, and left my bangs down. this is probably the way i feel most comfortable with because i feel like i look like an alien without my bangs down. my shirt is this white floral pocket tee that i thrifted from goodwill. i had originally intended to crop this shirt after i bought it, but never really got around to it. i like to wear this shirt when i want to wear something girly, but also comfortable (meaning you can eat a bunch of greasy food while wearing it) because its a tshirt!! my shorts are the black distressed "festival shorts" from hollister. i pretty much only wear high waisted shorts because they hide your tummy and are so flattering. my collar necklace is form rue 21, a few years ago. i would probably wear this outfit with my matte black doc martens. i think adding the ponytail scrunchie to this look makes it so classic.








 my next look is definitely the most casual and laid back. this would be a great outfit if you need to throw on something quickly, or if you'll be going somewhere you'll be for a long time (like an amusement park), and would obviously be more comfortable in the fall/winter months. my thermal is once again, thrifted, from the men's section of goodwill. my high waisted leggings are from forever 21. and i went with my bubblegum pink scrunchie to add some color to this look, to make it not so emo. i rarely wear my hair half up half down like this, and i always swore that i never would, but now that i see how cute it can be.. i actually kind of like it!! just goes to show that even if you think you can't pull something on, you should always at least give it a try. i would definitely wear these with my black and white vans.










this look is probably my favorite one!! we all know i love my skater dresses, and this edgy acid wash grey one is from h&m. i could go on and on about how much i love skater dresses and how they're so gorgeous and flirty and cute and awesome.. but i won't bore you with that. i wore my black and white vans with these, and my matching american apparel bubblegum pink knee socks! every time i go to american apparel when we're in disney world, i have to get a pair of knee socks, and i've recently added scrunchies to the tradition. i think the socks and scrunchies make this look so bright and girly. i did the same half up look with my hair on this. i definitely recommend teasing your hair a bit if you're going to do this look, to make it stay and not look completely slicked back. 






 my last look is probably my second favorite. once again, this one is very casual. i randomly went into jcpenney a few days ago while i was with my grandma, and found a few halter tops for $3.75 each?! of course i had to buy a couple and instantly regretted not buying more. i love halter tops because i feel like they are a little more flattering than a regular, boring camisole top. i love that this one isn't cropped, because it provides a lot more coverage, making it super versatile. my flannel is thrifted from the goodwill men's section. my leggings are the same high waisted ones from forever 21. i think mixed plaid and stripes is such a different look, but they go well together. my scrunchie is, once again, the  light denim one, and i have used it to put my hair in a high side ponytail. this is a nice way to get all of your hair off of your face if you'll be working out or being out in the heat that day.






xo, hailey

1 comment: